<br>


Perhaps His Name Is Andy

by Carrie Albert

The navy blue tent, insulated 
by grey blanket, was kept closed,  
said, You can’t see me. 
I'm blind to you.
Other tents 
gathered across the street 
on the strip of grassy park 
illumined by sun. The solitary 
one on the pavement lip 
said: I’m not of society. 

I never saw who lived 
inside but was respectfully
afraid. Graffiti on the wall 
behind his tent faintly 
scrawled: hate 
next to a monster face.
After two seasons, 
the tent was taken down, 
insides turned out. 
I snooped when walking by:
a textbook on human physiology,
photos of a family past, 
letters–write sometime huh?
I love you very much, 

signed S, postmarked from Norway 
to Andy, in the south-end of Seattle,
who had a home. 

Then the shopping cart where crows 
gathered to feast on open garbage, 
a wooden chair, soiled pillows, 
one embroidered Family, 
the folded tent, the letters 
were gone 

like a dream 
with no American excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment